Varicose Vein Screening
Am I a Candidate for Treatment?
Symptoms caused by venous insufficiency and varicose veins include aching leg pain, easy leg fatigue, and leg heaviness, all of which worsen as the day progresses. Many people find they need to sit down in the afternoon and elevate their legs to relieve these symptoms. In more severe cases, venous insufficiency can cause skin discoloration and ulceration which may be very difficult to treat.
People without visible varicose veins can still have symptoms. The symptoms can arise from spider veins as well as from varicose veins, because, in both cases, the symptoms are caused by pressure on nerves by dilated veins.
To see if you might benefit from varicose vein evaluation and treatment, take the Self-Assessment below.
Varicose Vein Self-Assessment
- Have you ever had varicose veins?
- Do you have spider veins?
- Do you experience any of the following in your legs or ankles?
- Leg pain, aching or cramping
- Burning or itching of the skin
- Leg or ankle swelling, especially at the end of the day
- “Heavy” feeling in legs
- Varicose veins
- Skin discoloration or texture changes, such as above the ankle
- Open wounds or sores, such as above the ankle
- Restless legs
- Has anyone in your blood-related family ever had varicose veins or been diagnosed with chronic venous insufficiency?
- Have you had any prior treatments or procedures for vein problems?
- Do you stand for long periods of time, such as at work?
- Do you frequently engage in heavy lifting?
- Have you been pregnant?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may be a candidate for an evaluation and treatment.
Call 703-824-3228 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Keith Sterling