Make 2017 the year you put your health first. Health screening exams are designed to detect certain diseases and conditions in the earliest stages, when they may be managed or treated more successfully. The Association of Alexandria Radiologists offers a variety of health screening exams to help you be proactive about your health in 2017. See what exams might be right for you.
- Women age 40 and over (with average risk)
- Women under age 40 with additional risk factors
A mammogram is the gold standard for the early diagnosis of breast cancer. The Association of Alexandria Radiologists offers 3D mammography—the most advanced breast imaging technology available—which has been proven to detect more cancers while reducing false positives.
Bone Density Screening
- Women age 65 and older
- Men age 70 and older
- Women and men age 50 with additional risk factors
Bone density screening is a simple and painless test that is used to diagnose Osteoporosis or its precursor, Osteopenia. Osteoporosis is often referred to as a silent disease because Without screening, most people with Osteoporosis would never know they had the disease until
Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Men and women age 50 and older
Up to 20% of Americans suffer from peripheral arterial disease, but less than half of those people show symptoms of the disease. PAD screening may help doctors to diagnose and treat this deadly disease before complications occur.
Lung Cancer Screening
- Men and women age 55-74 who meet high-risk criteria
The high risk criteria includes:
- Current smoker
- Former smoker having quit within the past 15 years
- 30 pack-year (or more) smoking history, calculated by multiplying the number of packs of cigarettes smoked per day by the number of years smoked
- Men and women over age 50 (with average risk)
A virtual colonoscopy is a screening exam for colorectal cancer that is often preferred by patients because it is less invasive and more comfortable. Most patients at average risk should have a virtual colonoscopy every 7-10 years.
Schedule Your Health Screening Exams
The Association of Alexandria Radiologists offers a wide variety of health screening exams at many convenient locations throughout northern Virginia. To schedule your health screening exam in 2017, call 703-824-3260, or request an appointment online.